Kendig Keast Collaborative (“KKC”) was founded as Lane Kendig, Inc. in 1982. With the collaboration of Lane Kendig and Bret Keast, AICP, beginning in 2003, the firm has transitioned to the ownership and management of Mr. Keast. We continue to build on the foundation and body of work established by Mr. Kendig, our founder and a respected authority in the urban planning field, who retired from full-time practice in 2009 and remains a Strategic Advisor to the firm and its clients.
KKC’s unique approach and process is grounded in the encouragement of meaningful public participation, a clear understanding of planning issues and implementation options, and a direct linkage between plans and ordinances to ensure they are both politically feasible and able to be implemented. We are proud of our firm’s reputation for providing clients with highly customized and responsive approaches to challenging community planning issues, resulting in innovative yet viable solutions.
What We Offer
- Nearly 30 years of community planning experience as a firm, and well over 100 years of combined public and private sector experience among our principals and senior staff.
- Our planning experience with municipal, county / parish, and combined municipal / county governments in a variety of geographical settings and political and cultural climates.
- Perspective and insights brought to local projects from a national practice, including trends and best practices in community planning.
- Emphasis on plan implementation from Day 1 of projects, given our specific expertise in development codes and other action tools.
- Our focus on community character, which emphasizes the physical design factors that establish and distinguish urban, suburban, and rural character and downplays the significance of, yet accounts for the functions of, specific land uses as a primary planning and regulatory focus.
- Our insistence on early and ongoing outreach and meaningful participation by community leaders and residents in all planning efforts.
- Our use of ESRI GIS software tools in all of our work, supplemented by other unique software which our firm has developed in-house.
- Our leadership in the planning field through publications, speaking engagements, regular award recognition, and leadership of educational seminars for elected and advisory officials and fellow planners.