There is no stronger team to help a city develop a plan or code that protects its community character. Kendig Keast Collaborative is a leading innovator in this regard. From our founder Lane Kendig’s seminal work, Performance Zoning (1980), to the recently published, Community Character, Principles for Design and Planning (Island Press, 2010), and A Guide to Planning for Community Character (Island Press, 2011) – Lane Kendig and current KKC CEO, Bret C. Keast, AICP, are leaders in articulating and advancing comprehensive strategies to define, protect and enhance community character.
- Corridor Redevelopment Strategies, American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Report. (In progress 2017)
Advancing the Economic Development Element in Comprehensive Plans, February 2017.
- Economic Development Content in Comprehensive Plans, American Planning Association Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Memo, February 2017.
- Comparison of Four Zoning Forms: Euclidean, Conditional, Form-Based, and Performance, Spring 2014.
- The Sustainability Debate, APA’s Sustainable Community Planning publication, page 4-6, Summer/Fall 2013.
- One District Zoning, Zoning Practice Feature Article, American Planning Association, June 2011.
- Creating Design Guidelines that Work, Zoning Practice Feature Article, American Planning Association, March 2011.
- Defining and Measuring Community Character, Zoning Practice Feature Article, American Planning Association, December 2010.
- Teardowns, American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service (PAS) QuickNotes No.9, 2007.
- “Administration of Local Air Pollution Control Programs in Florida,” 21 Fla. B. Envtl. & Land Use L. Sec. Rep. 1 (Dec. 1999).
- Performance Zoning, Bucks County Planning Commission, 1973. Revised and reprinted, 1976.
- “Local Government Urban Planning Activities in the Galveston Bay Watershed,” Proceedings of the 2001 State of the Bay Symposium, Galveston Bay Estuary Program, February 2001.
- Computerized Zoning: The Future Is Now, with Brian Blaesser, Land Use Law and Zoning Digest, American Planning Association, April 1996, (Vol. 48, No. 4).
- Meeting Procedures and Liability Issues for Public Officials, Guide to Urban Planning in Texas Communities, 1996.
- “Transit-Oriented Development in the Sunbelt – Get Real” with Reid Ewing, 1552 Trans. Research Record 145-52 (1996).
- Tomorrow’s Planning Tools Today, with Marc Mylott, Z Management Ideas, Zucker Systems’ Management Info Services, July 1995 (Issue 31).
- Stop the Insanity! Land Use Law and Zoning Digest, American Planning Association, January 1995, (Vol. 47, No. 1).
- Land Use Management Techniques for Water Pollution Prevention, Houston-Galveston Area Council, 1994.
- Regulatory Effectiveness Studies for the Armand Bayou and Christmas Bay Coastal Preserves, Galveston Bay National Estuary Program, 1991.
- Pipe Dreams, Planning, American Planning Association, June 1989.
- Performance Zoning for Sensitive Land in Queen Anne’s County, Maryland, Urban Land, August 1988.
- Why Consider Fishing in Urban-Suburban Planning, Urban Fishing—Symposium Proceedings, The American Fisheries Society, 1984.
- Performance Guaranties, Land Use Law and Zoning Digest, Feb. 1983, Vol. 35, No. 2.
- Designer’s Notebook, NatureScape, Sep. and Nov. 1981, Jan. and May 1982.
- Developers and Performance Zoning, Urban Land, Jan. 1982, (Vol. 41, No. 1).
- Performance Zoning – An Alternative to Euclidian Zoning, Planning 1977.
- TDR – a Pragmatist’s View, The Urban Lawyer, 1977, (Vol. 9 No. 3).
- Carrying Capacity as a Planning Tool, Urban Land, December 1977.